From Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Concurrent reads and writes on BookKeeper
Date Wed, 19 May 2010 23:36:23 GMT

On 05/19/2010 01:23 PM, Flavio Junqueira wrote:
> Hi Andre, To guarantee that two clients that read from a ledger will
> read the same sequence of entries, we need to make sure that there is
> agreement on the end of the sequence. A client is still able to read
> from an open ledger, though. We have an open jira about informing
> clients of the progress of an open ledger (ZOOKEEPER-462), but we
> haven't reached agreement on it yet. Some folks think that it is best
> that each application use the mechanism it finds best. One option is to
> have the writer writing periodically to a ZooKeeper znode to inform of
> its progress.

Hi Flavio. Seems like wrapping up a couple/few of these options in the
client library (or "a" client library) would be useful for users --
reuse rather than everyone reinvent. Similar to how we now provide
recipes in zk source base rather than everyone rewriting the basic
locks/queues... Would be a great project I would think for someone
interested in getting started with bk (and to some extent zk) development.

Patrick