From Henry Robinson <he...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Usage of myId
Date Tue, 02 Mar 2010 02:56:49 GMT
If you have two servers with the same myid, two servers will identify
themselves as the 'same' machine X in a ZooKeeper ensemble. This id is used
to map onto a hostname / port pair where messages for a given server are
sent. Assuming a consistent quorum specification across all machines,
messages for server X will only go to one machine and the other will think
itself partitioned from the network.

Servers need ids to distinguish themselves from other servers in order to
break symmetry and successfully elect a leader.

Henry

--
Henry Robinson
Software Engineer