From Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Managing multi-site clusters with Zookeeper
Date Mon, 08 Mar 2010 17:39:27 GMT
IMO latency is the primary issue you will face, but also keep in mind
reliability w/in a colo.

Say you have 3 colos (obv can't be 2), if you only have 3 servers, one
in each colo, you will be reliable but clients w/in each colo will have
to connect to a remote colo if the local fails. You will want to
prioritize the local colo given that reads can be serviced entirely
local that way. If you have 7 servers (2-2-3) that would be better - if
a local server fails you have a redundant, if both fail then you go remote.

You want to keep your writes as few as possible and as small as
possible? Why? Say you have 100ms latency btw colos, let's go through a
scenario for a client in a colo where the local servers are not the
leader (zk cluster leader).

read:
1) client reads a znode from local server
2) local server (usually < 1ms if "in colo" comm) responds in 1ms

write:
1) client writes a znode to local server A
2) A proposes change to the ZK Leader (L) in remote colo
3) L gets the proposal in 100ms
4) L proposes the change to all followers
5) all followers (not exactly, but hopefully) get the proposal in 100ms
6) followers ack the change
7) L gets the acks in 100ms
8) L commits the change (message to all followers)
9) A gets the commit in 100ms
10) A responds to client (< 1ms)

write latency: 100 + 100 + 100 + 100 = 400ms

Obviously keeping these writes small is also critical.

Patrick