From Benjamin Reed <br...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: how to handle re-add watch fails
Date Mon, 01 Feb 2010 19:58:11 GMT
sadly connectionloss is the really ugly part of zookeeper! it is a pain
to deal with. i'm not sure we have best practice, but i can tell you
what i do :) ZOOKEEPER-22 is meant to alleviate this problem.

i usually use the asynch API when handling the watch callback. in the
completion function if there is a connection loss, i issue another async
getChildren to retry. this avoids the blocking caller by doing a
synchronous retry that eric alluded to, but the behavior is effectively
the same: you retry the request.

you don't need to worry about multiple watches being added colin.
zookeeper keeps track of which watchers have registered which watches
and will not register deplicate watches for the same watcher. (hopefully
you can parse that :)

ben