From Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Killing a zookeeper server
Date Tue, 12 Jan 2010 22:40:23 GMT
12 servers? That's alot, if you dont' mind my asking why so many?
Typically we recommend 5 - that way you can have one down for
maintenance and still have a failure that doesn't bring down the cluster.

The "electing a leader" is probably the restarted machine attempting to
re-join the ensemble (it should join as a follower if you have a leader
already elected, given that it's xid is behind the existing leader.)
Hard to tell though without the logs.

You might also be seeing the initLimit exceeded, is the data you are
storing in ZK large? Or perhaps network connectivity is slow?
http://hadoop.apache.org/zookeeper/docs/current/zookeeperAdmin.html#sc_clusterOptions
again the logs would give some insight on this.

Patrick