From Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>
Subject Re: blog post about zk and group membership
Date Mon, 11 Jan 2010 18:20:06 GMT
Adam Rosien wrote:
> Re "off the shelf", my title of "Actually Implementing" was a *bit*
> snarky to try and gain some readers, but it wasn't intended to be
> sharp criticism; more documented recipes is a good thing for everyone.
> I'd be happy to submit a JIRA with a group membership recipe.

Ya, I got that, no worries. It was a valid point and something I've been
asked before. Figured I could get some (addl) free work out of the deal. ;-)

Disqus seems to be having troubles, I've tried like 3 times to comment
on your blog post, did it finally make it through?

> Re zkclient, I agree that documentation is a big thing, which I hope
> to help out with as I use it more. I'm talking now with one of the
> developers about zkclient's implementation of data serialization since
> that is another big area; zk pushes all serialization semantics into
> the clients, which is ok but requires its own practical strategies.

Yea, that's an interesting point. I suspect that a wrapper around the
data (zk contrib? subclass/proxy of ZooKeeper?) that put content-type
type information into the "header" of the data portion might be useful.
The wrapper could encode/decode based on the data type in ZK, vs the
data type the user would like. The wrapper could support whichever
encode/decode the user would like (say xml/json to start) etc... Donno
how useful in general but in a larger system with a bunch of
heterogeneous clients accessing it might be interesting.

Patrick