From "Nick Bailey" <nicholas.bai...@rackspace.com>
Subject Killing a zookeeper server
Date Tue, 12 Jan 2010 21:52:47 GMT
We are running zookeeper 3.1.0

Recently we noticed the cpu usage on our machines becoming increasingly high and we believe
the cause is

However our solution when we noticed the problem was to kill the zookeeper process and restart
it.

After doing that though it looks like the newly restarted zookeeper server is continually
attempting to elect a leader even though one already exists.

The process responses with 'imok' when asked, but the stat command returns 'ZooKeeperServer
not running'.

I belive that killing the current leader should trigger all servers to do an election and
solve the problem, but I'm not sure. Should that be the course of action in this situation?

Also we have 12 servers, but 5 are currently not running according to stat.  So I guess this
isn't a problem unless we lose another one.  We have plans to upgrade zookeeper to solve the
cpu issue but haven't been able to do that yet.

Any help appreciated,
Nick Bailey