From Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>
Subject Re: API for node entry to the cluster.
Date Thu, 05 Nov 2009 20:35:41 GMT
FYI - in Ted's scenario your application will most likely not be
effected (if that's what you mean by "start a round of consensus").

 From your app's perspective your ZK clients will get disconnected from
one server and reconnected to another (as the server it is connected to
is restarted with the new config). If you are using something like our
standard recipes, say leadership election, your ephemeral znodes and
watches are uneffected - you don't see a new leadership election,
everything continues as normal.

Actually you could shut down the entire ZK cluster and restart it, your
ZK clients should be uneffected - they will reconnect to a server
automatically when the cluster comes up and all ephemeral znodes and
watches are maintained as they were prior to the restart.

Hope this helps.

Patrick