From Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>
Subject Re: The idea behind 'myid'
Date Tue, 29 Sep 2009 17:01:32 GMT
Jason Venner wrote:
> I do find having to have a custom file in each zk root somewhat awkward, as
> I like to rsync my configuration files around. I also would prefer not to
> have to have all of my zk nodes listed in the configuration file by id.
>
> I think I would prefer it if there was a mechanism for each log directory to
> come up with a cluster unique id, and then the jvm running on that log dir
> would advertise that ID.

You are saying to list the server's ip/port in each of the server config
files, but not the id's, correct? The server id is actually used as part
of the quorum (zab) protocol - servers with lower id's don't attempt to
connect to servers with higher id when forming quorum (to avoid 2
servers negotiating on 2 channels/threads). Perhaps this can be worked
around though. Flavio?

I'll enter a jira for tracking this feature as soon as apache issue
tracking comes back (seems to be down right now).

> If there was a control that would allow runtime changing of the required
> quorum, then I could dynamically add and remove nodes.

Patrick