From Scott Carey <sc...@richrelevance.com>
Subject Re: Leader Elections
Date Mon, 20 Jul 2009 18:00:19 GMT
Observers would be awesome especially with a couple enhancements / extensions:

An option for the observers to enter a special state if the WAN link goes down to the "master"
cluster.  A read-only option would be great.
However, allowing certain types of writes to continue on a limited basis would be highly valuable
as well.  An observer could "own" a special node and its subnodes.  Only these subnodes would
be writable by the observer when there was a session break to the master cluster, and the
master cluster would take all the changes when the link is reestablished.  Essentially, it
is a portion of the hierarchy that is writable only by a specitfic observer, and read-only
for others.
The purpose of this would be for when the WAN link goes down to the "master" ZKs for certain
types of use cases - status updates or other changes local to the observer that are strictly
read-only outside the Observer's 'realm'.