From "Todd Greenwood" <to...@audiencescience.com>
Subject RE: Zookeeper WAN Configuration
Date Thu, 30 Jul 2009 17:52:07 GMT
Patrick - Thank you, I'll proceed accordingly. -Todd

-----Original Message-----
From: Patrick Hunt [mailto:phunt@apache.org]
Sent: Wednesday, July 29, 2009 10:30 PM
To: zookeeper-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: Zookeeper WAN Configuration

> [Todd] What is the recommended policy regarding patching zookeeper
> locally? As an external user, should I patch and compile in the trunk
or
> in the branch (branch-3.2)?
>
> I've looked at :
> http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/ZooKeeper/HowToContribute
> http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowToRelease
>
> And both of these seem well thought out but aimed at commiters
commiting
> to the trunk.

In your context (want 3.2 features) you probably want to build based on
the 3.2 tag, that way you are working off a known quantity. I'd suggest
strongly that as part of your build you document the source base and
which patches/changes you have applied. Having this information will be
critical for you (or someone using your build) in case bugs have to be
filed, or further changes/patches have to be applied, etc...

Patrick