From Mahadev Konar <maha...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: Some questions about Zookeeper 3.2.0
Date Tue, 30 Jun 2009 16:14:58 GMT
Hi Qian,
 Sorry for the delayed response. ZooKeeper guarantees that their is
backwards compatibility with minor releases. So, 3.2* is backwards
compatible with 3.1*. So, what Ted mentions below related to rolling upgrade
should work.

Hope this helps.
Thanks
Mahadev

Ted Dunning:

A rolling update works very well for that.  You can also change the number
of nodes in the cluster.

To do this, you replace the config files on the surviving servers and on the
new server.

Then take down the one that is leaving the cluster and then one by one
restart the servers that will remain in the cluster.  Then start the new
server.

If you only have 3 ZK servers, you might want to do the upgrade in two steps
if you are totally paranoid about running with just 2 servers in your
cluster.  In that scenario, you would add the new server to the config and
restart each of the 3 ZK servers and staring the new one.  That gives you a
ZK cluster with 4 servers.  Another rolling update can reconfigure it to
have only the 3 servers you want.

Make sure you leave several seconds between restarting each server.  That
will give the cluster time to calm down and do any necessary leader
elections