From Benjamin Reed <br...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: Confused about KeeperState.Disconnected and KeeperState.Expired
Date Tue, 23 Jun 2009 22:04:12 GMT
ZooKeeper only tells you about states that it is sure about, so you will
not get the Expired event until you reconnect to ZooKeeper. if you never
connect again to ZooKeeper, you will not get the Expired event. if you
want to timeout using some sanity value, 2 times the session timeout for
example, you can implement that yourself by setting a timer when you get
the disconnected event and then close the session explicitly when the
timer goes off.

there is a caveat in doing this: if your whole cluster goes down for 20
mins and then comes back up, your session timeout will get reset and the
session will still be alive even though you have closed it. it will then
have to timeout before it actually goes away. closing the session when
the client is disconnected just stops the client from trying to reconnect.

does this make sense?

ben