From Benjamin Reed <br...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: zookeeper.getChildren asynchronous callback
Date Thu, 11 Jun 2009 14:09:52 GMT
just to clarify i believe you are talking about callbacks on the watch
object you are passing in the asynchronous call rather than the
asynchronous completion callback. (Henry is making the same assumption.)
when you say you are getting the callback 10 times, i believe your are
talking about 10 different watch objects getting called back once each.
right?

it turns out that the zookeeper client does know what you are watching,
and the zookeeper server will only register one watch. the thing that is
missing is the clearWatches call that Henry refers to. the thing that
complicates things a bit, perhaps not for you, is the scenario where we
have different modules sharing the same zookeeper handle. if different
modules are interested in watching the same object, you don't want one
module to simply clear a the watches for a path because one module may
mess up the other.

we have talked about adding this ability to clear watches for a while. i
think the auto-watch reregistration patch made the issue slightly more
pressing since it means that watches can survive for the entire lifetime
of a session not just for the duration of a connection to a specific
server. i've created ZOOKEEPER-442 to track this issue.

ben