From Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ConnectionLoss (node too big?)
Date Wed, 03 Jun 2009 17:09:48 GMT
wrt bandwidth the issue there is when you do a write you end up copying
the data btw servers in the quorum:

1) client setdata("largedata") -> follower ZK server (copy data)
2) follower ZK server forwards the proposal to the ZK server leader
(copy data)
3) ZK server leader does atomic broadcast to all followers - ie sends
individual copies of the data to all the followers (copy * (x-1 servers))
4) majority of followers ack, leader commits, follower responds to
client, done

Again, if you have a handful of nodes it's not a big deal... but as/if
you expand your use you end up with a potential issue.

Of course if you care about reliability/availablity of the data then
choice of "third party data store" is important... this really depends
on your requirements. Perhaps storing in ZK makes sense... it really
depends on your use case/requirements.

Patrick