From Benjamin Reed <br...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject RE: Standard redistributable set of primitives?
Date Fri, 16 Jan 2009 19:22:29 GMT
This is exactly what we want. ZooKeeper was designed to provide kind of a coordination micro-kernel.
the idea is that all sorts of more specialized primitives can be built at the client, thus
keeping the core server simple and manageable.

unfortunately, the thing that is holding us back is the directory structure. in some sense
it's pretty silly, but we need a nice way to organize the recipe specifications and implementations
so that multiplatform implementations will be compatible and users can understand the semantics.
See ZOOKEEPER-80. Once that gets fixed we have a lock recipe, keptset recipe, and there is
a file monitoring library that is ready to go in.

the key to ZOOKEEPER-80 is to fix the structure and the build process.  if you have a flash
inspiration on how to best implement ZOOKEEPER-80, we are all ears.

ben
From: Tom Nichols [tmnichols@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, January 16, 2009 6:54 AM
To: zookeeper-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Standard redistributable set of primitives?

Hi,

I was wondering if there were plans to create a set of standard
ZooKeeper primitives, sort of like commons-collections.  I figure it
would be mostly based off of the recipes on the ZK wiki, but it would
provide users with a slightly easier starting point, not to mention it
would be well-tested and prevent users avoid "re-inventing the wheel."
 Does this sound like a reasonable idea?

Thanks.
-Tom