From Benjamin Reed <br...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject RE: Updated NodeWatcher...
Date Fri, 09 Jan 2009 13:09:15 GMT
I'm really bad a creating figures, but i've put up something that should be informative. (i'm
also really bad at apache wiki.) hopefully someone can make it more beautiful. i've added
the state diagram to the FAQ: http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/ZooKeeper/FAQ

ben

-----Original Message-----
From: adam.rosien@gmail.com [mailto:adam.rosien@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Adam Rosien
Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2009 8:06 PM
To: zookeeper-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: Updated NodeWatcher...

It feels like we need a flowchart, state-chart, or something, so we
can all talk about the same thing. Then people could suggest
abstractions that would essentially put a box around sections of the
diagram. However I feel woefully inadequate at the former :(.

.. Adam

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 4:20 PM, Benjamin Reed <breed@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> For your first issue if an ensemble goes offline and comes back, everything should be
fine. it will look to the client just like a server went down. if a session expires, you are
correct that the client will not reconnect. this again is on purpose. for the node watcher
the session is unimportant, but if the ZooKeeper object is also being used for leader election,
for example, you do not want the object to grab a new session automatically.

> For 2) i think pat responded to that one. an async request will always return. if the
server goes down after the request is issued, you will get a connection loss error in your
callback.