From Vinod Johnson <Thomas.John...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Simpler ZooKeeper event interface....
Date Wed, 07 Jan 2009 21:36:55 GMT
Mahadev Konar wrote:
> Hi Vinod,
>  I think what Ben meant was this--
>
> The client will never know of a session expiration until and unless its
> connected to one of the servers. So the leader cannot demote itself since
> its connected to one of the servers. It might have lost its session (which
> all the others except itself would have realized) but will have to wait to
> demote itself until it connects to one of the servers.

I guess then I don't follow the leader election recipe. Is the following
scenario possible in the leader election recipe:
1) Leader L is partitioned from the ensemble.
2) ZK servers expire its session.
3) Some other follower F now becomes a leader.
4) L and F form a split brain?

I had wrongly assumed that the session was like a lease in that it
allowed the client and server to independently know that the session had
expired by the use of the global clock. Wouldn't it make sense for the
client lib to expire its local session handle and never reuse it?