From Thomas Vinod Johnson <Thomas.John...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: What happens when a server loses all its state?
Date Tue, 16 Dec 2008 21:04:29 GMT
Sorry, I should have been a little more explicit. At this point, the
situation I'm considering is this; out of 3 servers, 1 server 'A'
forgets its persistent state (due to a bad disk, say) and it restarts.
My guess from what I could understand/reason about the internals was
that the server 'A' will re-synchronize correctly on restart, by getting
the entire snapshot.

I just wanted to make sure that this was a good assumption to make - or
find out if I was missing corner cases where the fact that A has lost
all memory could lead to inconsistencies (to take an example, in plain
Paxos, no acceptor can forget the highest number prepare request to
which it has responded).

More generally, is it a safe assumption to make that the ZooKeeper
service will maintain all its guarantees if a minority of servers lose
persistent state (due to bad disks, etc) and restart at some point in
the future?

Thanks.