From Bernd Fondermann <bernd.fonderm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [Fwd: [Fwd: [VOTE] Release ZooKeeper 3.2.1 (candidate 0)]]
Date Fri, 04 Sep 2009 18:15:20 GMT
On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 18:12, Patrick Hunt<phunt@apache.org> wrote:
> Bernd Fondermann wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 18:25, Patrick Hunt<phunt@apache.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> The configure script is free license (it's in the header of the file).
>>> IANAL
>>> but based on my understanding of apache license requirements this makes
>>> the
>>> file a "TYPE A" license, as there are no other stated requirements wrt
>>> notice, we are in compliance.
>>
>> I'm not saying that the license is incompatible, I am saying that you
>> need to record third party contributions in the NOTICE file.
>>
>> See
>> http://apache.org/licenses/example-NOTICE.txt
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jackrabbit/trunk/NOTICE.txt
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/java/trunk/NOTICE.txt
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/server/trunk/NOTICE.txt
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/hbase/trunk/NOTICE.txt
>> and probably many, many others
>
> Hi Bernd, we do have a notice file similar to your examples (actually we
> have at least 5 of them) included in the release. I looked at these examples
> you've included and I don't see any mention of autotools related files (like
> configure).
>
>> PS: I don't think it is particulary nice to close a vote when there
>> are ongoing discussions.
>
> You stated the following in your original email "I guess it is not safe to
> release this as-is.". You didn't -1 the vote and you are implicitly saying
> that you don't know and are just guessing.

Well, I'm not guessing any more than you do. :-)
I didn't -1, because I've no binding vote anyway on this PMC.
I just checked out the release and gave feedback, whether it's
appreciated or not I'm not quite sure.

> You don't point to any supporting
> evidence for this statement such as explicit requirements from Apache.

This is what I was referring to:
http://apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#notice

> Additionally I followed up immediately with our PMC chair and he said this
> was not an issue. I then responded to your email.
>
> I will double check with Owen on this and ask him to comment on the thread.
> If you could point to a specific apache document stating this requirement
> that would help alot. This is a critical fix release that we are trying to
> get out so resolving this ASAP is imperative.

Imperative to whom?

Hurrying a release never serves well. Votes at Apache should run for
at least 72 hrs. It's also convenient to give a timezone and time when
the vote ends, because EOD might be at different times for different
people.
If this is a security fix, however, I think a shorter timeframe is ok.
But it is not labelled as such.

  Bernd