From Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Fwd: [Fwd: [VOTE] Release ZooKeeper 3.2.1 (candidate 0)]]
Date Fri, 04 Sep 2009 16:12:52 GMT
Bernd Fondermann wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 18:25, Patrick Hunt<phunt@apache.org> wrote:
>> The configure script is free license (it's in the header of the file). IANAL
>> but based on my understanding of apache license requirements this makes the
>> file a "TYPE A" license, as there are no other stated requirements wrt
>> notice, we are in compliance.
>
> I'm not saying that the license is incompatible, I am saying that you
> need to record third party contributions in the NOTICE file.
>
> See
> http://apache.org/licenses/example-NOTICE.txt
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jackrabbit/trunk/NOTICE.txt
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/java/trunk/NOTICE.txt
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/server/trunk/NOTICE.txt
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/hbase/trunk/NOTICE.txt
> and probably many, many others

Hi Bernd, we do have a notice file similar to your examples (actually we
have at least 5 of them) included in the release. I looked at these
examples you've included and I don't see any mention of autotools
related files (like configure).

> PS: I don't think it is particulary nice to close a vote when there
> are ongoing discussions.

You stated the following in your original email "I guess it is not safe
to release this as-is.". You didn't -1 the vote and you are implicitly
saying that you don't know and are just guessing. You don't point to any
supporting evidence for this statement such as explicit requirements
from Apache. Additionally I followed up immediately with our PMC chair
and he said this was not an issue. I then responded to your email.

I will double check with Owen on this and ask him to comment on the
thread. If you could point to a specific apache document stating this
requirement that would help alot. This is a critical fix release that we
are trying to get out so resolving this ASAP is imperative.

Patrick