hadoop-yarn-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Chris Douglas <cdoug...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Apache Hadoop 3.0.1 Release plan
Date Fri, 02 Feb 2018 19:10:46 GMT
On Fri, Feb 2, 2018 at 10:22 AM, Arpit Agarwal <aagarwal@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> Do you plan to roll an RC with an uncommitted fix? That isn't the right approach.

The fix will be committed to the release branch. We'll vote on the
release, and if it receives a majority of +1 votes then it becomes
3.0.1. That's how the PMC decides how to move forward. In this case,
that will also resolve whether or not it can be committed to trunk.

If this logic is unpersuasive, then we can require a 2/3 majority to
replace the codebase. Either way, the PMC will vote to define the
consensus view when it is not emergent.

> This issue has good visibility and enough discussion.

Yes, it has. We always prefer consensus to voting, but when discussion
reveals that complete consensus is impossible, we still need a way
forward. This is rare, and usually reserved for significant changes
(like merging YARN). Frankly, it's embarrassing to resort to it here,
but here we are.

> If there is a binding veto in effect then the change must be abandoned. Else you should
be able to proceed with committing. However, 3.0.0 must be called out as an abandoned release
if we commit it.

This is not accurate. A binding veto from any committer halts
progress, but the PMC sets the direction of the project. That includes
making decisions that are not universally accepted. -C

> ´╗┐On 2/1/18, 3:01 PM, "Lei Xu" <lei@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
>     Sounds good to me, ATM.
>
>     On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 2:34 PM, Aaron T. Myers <atm@apache.org> wrote:
>     > Hey Anu,
>     >
>     > My feeling on HDFS-12990 is that we've discussed it quite a bit already and
>     > it doesn't seem at this point like either side is going to budge. I'm
>     > certainly happy to have a phone call about it, but I don't expect that we'd
>     > make much progress.
>     >
>     > My suggestion is that we simply include the patch posted to HDFS-12990 in
>     > the 3.0.1 RC and call this issue out clearly in the subsequent VOTE thread
>     > for the 3.0.1 release. Eddy, are you up for that?
>     >
>     > Best,
>     > Aaron
>     >
>     > On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 1:13 PM, Lei Xu <lei@cloudera.com> wrote:
>     >>
>     >> +Xiao
>     >>
>     >> My understanding is that we will have this for 3.0.1.   Xiao, could
>     >> you give your inputs here?
>     >>
>     >> On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 11:55 AM, Anu Engineer <aengineer@hortonworks.com>
>     >> wrote:
>     >> > Hi Eddy,
>     >> >
>     >> > Thanks for driving this release. Just a quick question, do we have
time
>     >> > to close this issue?
>     >> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-12990
>     >> >
>     >> > or are we abandoning it? I believe that this is the last window for
us
>     >> > to fix this issue.
>     >> >
>     >> > Should we have a call and get this resolved one way or another?
>     >> >
>     >> > Thanks
>     >> > Anu
>     >> >
>     >> > On 2/1/18, 10:51 AM, "Lei Xu" <lei@cloudera.com> wrote:
>     >> >
>     >> >     Hi, All
>     >> >
>     >> >     I just cut branch-3.0.1 from branch-3.0.  Please make sure all
>     >> > patches
>     >> >     targeted to 3.0.1 being checked in both branch-3.0 and branch-3.0.1.
>     >> >
>     >> >     Thanks!
>     >> >     Eddy
>     >> >
>     >> >     On Tue, Jan 9, 2018 at 11:17 AM, Lei Xu <lei@cloudera.com>
wrote:
>     >> >     > Hi, All
>     >> >     >
>     >> >     > We have released Apache Hadoop 3.0.0 in December [1]. To further
>     >> >     > improve the quality of release, we plan to cut branch-3.0.1
branch
>     >> >     > tomorrow for the preparation of Apache Hadoop 3.0.1 release.
The
>     >> > focus
>     >> >     > of 3.0.1 will be fixing blockers (3), critical bugs (1) and
bug
>     >> > fixes
>     >> >     > [2].  No new features and improvement should be included.
>     >> >     >
>     >> >     > We plan to cut branch-3.0.1 tomorrow (Jan 10th) and vote for
RC on
>     >> > Feb
>     >> >     > 1st, targeting for Feb 9th release.
>     >> >     >
>     >> >     > Please feel free to share your insights.
>     >> >     >
>     >> >     > [1]
>     >> > https://www.mail-archive.com/general@hadoop.apache.org/msg07757.html
>     >> >     > [2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?filter=12342842
>     >> >     >
>     >> >     > Best,
>     >> >     > --
>     >> >     > Lei (Eddy) Xu
>     >> >     > Software Engineer, Cloudera
>     >> >
>     >> >
>     >> >
>     >> >     --
>     >> >     Lei (Eddy) Xu
>     >> >     Software Engineer, Cloudera
>     >> >
>     >> >
>     >> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>     >> >     To unsubscribe, e-mail: common-dev-unsubscribe@hadoop.apache.org
>     >> >     For additional commands, e-mail: common-dev-help@hadoop.apache.org
>     >> >
>     >> >
>     >> >
>     >>
>     >>
>     >>
>     >> --
>     >> Lei (Eddy) Xu
>     >> Software Engineer, Cloudera
>     >>
>     >> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>     >> To unsubscribe, e-mail: hdfs-dev-unsubscribe@hadoop.apache.org
>     >> For additional commands, e-mail: hdfs-dev-help@hadoop.apache.org
>     >>
>     >
>
>
>
>     --
>     Lei (Eddy) Xu
>     Software Engineer, Cloudera
>
>     ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>     To unsubscribe, e-mail: yarn-dev-unsubscribe@hadoop.apache.org
>     For additional commands, e-mail: yarn-dev-help@hadoop.apache.org
>
>
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: yarn-dev-unsubscribe@hadoop.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: yarn-dev-help@hadoop.apache.org


Mime
View raw message