hadoop-yarn-dev mailing list archives

From Jian He <...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: 2017-10-06 Hadoop 3 release status update
Date Fri, 06 Oct 2017 23:25:47 GMT
Hi Allen,

Thanks for spending the time reviewing it.
A new patch was uploaded yesterday on YARN-7198 to address the documentation of missing config,
you might want to check.
The api-server is basically a REST server which accepts user requests to deploy services,
it now has an option to be run as part of RM, which eliminates one separate daemon.

We are open to naming suggestions. So far we used ‘service’ keyword to indicate this feature.
E.g.
"yarn service” sub-command is used to manage services deployed on YARN such as:

yarn service create -f service-spec.json
yarn service stop <service-name>

Jian

> On Oct 6, 2017, at 3:12 PM, Allen Wittenauer <aw@effectivemachines.com> wrote:
>

>> On Oct 6, 2017, at 1:31 PM, Andrew Wang <andrew.wang@cloudera.com> wrote:
>>
>>  - Still waiting on Allen to review YARN native services feature.
>
> 	Fake news.
>
> 	I’m still -1 on it, at least prior to a patch that posted late yesterday. I’ll probably
have a chance to play with it early next week.

> Key problems:
>
> 	* still haven’t been able to bring up dns daemon due to lacking documentation
>
> 	* it really needs better naming and command structures.  When put into the larger YARN
context, it’s very problematic:

> $ yarn —daemon start resourcemanager
>
> 		vs.
>
> $ yarn —daemon start apiserver
>
> 		if you awoke from a deep sleep from inside a cave, which one would you expect to “start
YARN”?     Made worse that the feature is called “YARN services” all over the place.

> $ yarn service foo
>
> 		… what does this even mean?
>
> 	It would be great if other outsiders really looked hard at this branch to give the team
feedback.   Once it gets released, it’s gonna be too late to change it….

> As a sidenote:
>
> 	It’d be great if the folks working on YARN spent some time consolidating daemons.
 With this branch, it now feels like we’re approaching the double digit area of daemons
to turn on all the features.  It’s well past ridiculous, especially considering we still
haven’t replaced the MRJHS’s feature set to the point we can turn it off.