hadoop-yarn-dev mailing list archives

From Allen Wittenauer ...@effectivemachines.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Merge yarn-native-services branch into trunk
Date Tue, 05 Sep 2017 20:52:08 GMT

> On Aug 31, 2017, at 8:33 PM, Jian He <jhe@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> I would like to call a vote for merging yarn-native-services to trunk.

	1) Did I miss it or is there no actual end-user documentation on how to use this?  I see
hadoop-yarn-project/hadoop-yarn/hadoop-yarn-site/src/site/markdown/native-services/NativeServicesIntro.md,
but that’s not particularly useful.  It looks like there are daemons that need to get started,
based on other documentation?  How?  What do I configure? Is there a command to use to say
“go do native for this job”?  I honestly have no idea how to make this do anything because
most of the docs appear to be either TBD or expect me to read through a ton of JIRAs.

	2) Lots of markdown problems in the NativeServicesDiscovery.md document.  This includes things
like ‘yarnsite.xml’ (missing a dash.)  Also, I’m also confused why it’s called that
when the title is YARN DNS, but whatever.

	3) The default port for the DNS server should NOT be 53 if typical deployments need to specify
an alternate port.  Based on the documentation, this doesn’t appear to be a fully function
DNS server as an admin would expect (e.g., BIND, Knot, whatever).  Where’s forwarding? How
do I setup notify? Are secondaries even supported? etc, etc. In fact:  was this even tested
on port 53? How does this get launched such that it even has access to open port 53?  I don’t
see any calls to use the secure daemon code in the shell scripts. Is there any jsvc voodoo
or is it just “run X as root”?

	4) Post-merge, yarn usage information is broken.  This is especially bad since it doesn’t
appear that YarnCommands was ever updated to include the new sub-commands.

	At this point in time:

		-1 on 3.0.0-beta1
		-0 on trunk