hadoop-yarn-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Branch merges and 3.0.0-beta1 scope
Date Tue, 22 Aug 2017 10:20:45 GMT

> On 21 Aug 2017, at 22:22, Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vinodkv@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Steve,
>
> You can be strict & ruthless about the timelines. Anything that doesn’t get in
by mid-September, as was originally planned, can move to the next release - whether it is
feature work on branches or feature work on trunk.

> The problem I see here is that code & branches being worked on for a year are now
(apparently) close to being done and we are telling them to hold for 7 more months - this
is not a reasonable ask..

> If you are advocating for a 3.1 plan, I’m sure one of these branch ‘owners’ can
volunteer. But this is how you get competing releases and split bandwidth.

> As for compatibility / testing etc, it seems like there is a belief that the current
‘scoped’ features are all tested well in these areas and so adding more is going to hurt
the release. There is no way this is the reality, trunk has so many features that have been
landing for years, the only way we can collectively attempt towards making this stable is
by getting as many parties together as possible, each verifying stuff that they need. Not
by excluding specific features.

If everyone is confident & its coming together, it does make sense. I think those of us
(myself included) who are merging stuff in do have to recognise that we really need to follow
it through by being responsive to any problem -and with the release manager having the right
to pull things out if its felt to be significantly threatening the stability of the final
3.0 release.

I think we should also consider making the 3.0 beta the feature freeze; after that fixes on
the features go in, but nothing else of significance, otherwise the value of the beta "test
this code more broadly" is diminoshed

-steve