hadoop-yarn-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Rohith Sharma K S <rohithsharm...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Branch merges and 3.0.0-beta1 scope
Date Fri, 25 Aug 2017 06:47:28 GMT
Hi Andrew

Thanks for update on release plan!

I would like to discuss specifically regarding compatibility of releases.
What is the compatibility to be maintained for GA if we don't merge to
beta1 release? IIUC, till now all the releases were alpha where
compatibility was not that important. All the public interfaces are
subjected to modifications. Once we release beta, compatibility would be a
matter.
During this gap i.e between beta-GA release, should we maintain
compatibility ?
If my understanding is right then TSv2 have to be merged with beta1
release. In TSv2 phase-2, we have compatibility changes from phase-1.


Thanks & Regards
Rohith Sharma K S

On 25 August 2017 at 02:03, Andrew Wang <andrew.wang@cloudera.com> wrote:

> Glad to see the discussion continued in my absence :)
>
> From a release management perspective, it's *extremely* reasonable to block
> the inclusion of new features a month from the planned release date. A
> typical software development lifecycle includes weeks of feature freeze and
> weeks of code freeze. It is no knock on any developer or any feature to say
> that we should not include something in 3.0.0.
>
> I've been very open and clear about the goals, schedule, and scope of 3.0.0
> over the last year plus. The point of the extended alpha process was to get
> all our features in during alpha, and the alpha merge window has been open
> for a year. I'm unmoved by arguments about how long a feature has been
> worked on. None of these were not part of the original 3.0.0 scope, and our
> users have been waiting even longer for big-ticket 3.0 items like JDK8 and
> HDFS EC that were part of the discussed scope.
>
> I see that two VOTEs have gone out since I was out. I still plan to follow
> the proposal in my original email. This means I'll cut branch-3 and
> branch-3.0, and move trunk to 4.0.0 before these VOTEs end. This will open
> up development for Hadoop 3.1.0 and 4.0.0.
>
> I'm reaching out to the lead contributor of each of these features
> individually to discuss. We need to close on this quickly, and email is too
> low bandwidth at this stage.
>
> Best,
> Andrew
>

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message