hadoop-yarn-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Andrew Wang <andrew.w...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Branch merges and 3.0.0-beta1 scope
Date Fri, 25 Aug 2017 22:49:29 GMT
Jonathan, thanks for the heads up. I don't have much familiarity with YARN,
but gave the PBs and pom changes a look, and left a few small comments on
the umbrella JIRA.

This seems like a smaller change than some of the other branch merges we're
discussing, but I'm again reticent about adding scope if we can avoid it.

In your mind, is this truly a "must-have" for 3.0? It looks compatible, and
thus something we could add in a minor release like 2.9 or 3.1.

Best,
Andrew

On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 12:31 PM, Jonathan Hung <jyhung2357@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> Thanks for starting the discussion - we have a feature YARN-5734 for API
> based scheduler configuration that I feel is pretty close to merge (also "a
> few weeks"). It's almost completely code and API additions and we were
> careful to design it so that it's compatible (feature is also turned off by
> default). Hoping to get this in before 3.0.0-GA. Just wanted to send this
> note so that we are not caught off guard by this feature.
>
> Thanks!
>
>
> Jonathan Hung
>
> On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 11:06 AM, Wangda Tan <wheeleast@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Resource profile is similar to TSv2, the feature is:
>> - Alpha feature, we will not freeze new added APIs. And all added APIs are
>> explicitly marked to @Unstable.
>> - Allow rolling upgrade from branch-2.
>> - Touched existing code, but we have, and will continue tests to make sure
>> changes are safe.
>>
>> Discussed with Andrew offline, we decided to not put this to beta1 since
>> beta1 is not far away. But we want to put it before GA if sufficient tests
>> are done.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Wangda
>>
>>
>>
>> On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 10:54 AM, Rohith Sharma K S <
>> rohithsharmaks@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> > On 25 August 2017 at 22:39, Andrew Wang <andrew.wang@cloudera.com>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > > Hi Rohith,
>> > >
>> > > Given that we're advertising TSv2 as an alpha feature, I think we're
>> > > allowed to break compatibility. Let's make sure this is clear in the
>> > > release notes and documentation.
>> > >
>> >
>> > > That said, with TSv2 phase 2, is the API going to be frozen? The
>> umbrella
>> > > JIRA refers to "TSv2 alpha2" which indicated to me it was still
>> > alpha-level
>> > > quality and stability.
>> > >
>> > YES, We have decided to freeze API's. I do not think we make any
>> > compatibility break in future.
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > >
>> > > Best,
>> > > Andrew
>> > >
>> >
>>
>
>

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message