hadoop-yarn-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vino...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Branch merges and 3.0.0-beta1 scope
Date Sat, 19 Aug 2017 05:49:39 GMT
Andrew,

Each of the branches below have been created more than a year ago (!) and have been consistently
worked upon and are now finally seeing the light of the day. When they are "few weeks” away,
pushing them out by 7 *more* months just doesn’t make sense.

While I deeply appreciate the push for the dates, we shouldn’t be putting moratorium on
features like this till the proposed date is due. As a release manager, it’s good to say
that we will release a specific version as soon as so-and-so features are in, but let’s
not put exclusions like this.

I propose that, as we have done with every release so far, (and more specifically the way
we did 2.x alphas, betas, GA back in the day), we float the date, let the individual branch
contributors decide their fate. As long as of course, they meet the timelines and the usual
branch merge bar, testing / compatibility / impact on rest of the code-base etc.

Anything short of that, we will just be incentivizing contributors away from doing work in
branches and towards putting stuff directly into trunk.

+Vinod

> On Aug 18, 2017, at 6:22 PM, Andrew Wang <andrew.wang@cloudera.com> wrote:
> 
> Hi folks,
> 
> As you might have seen, we've had a number of branch merges floated this
> past week targeted for 3.0.0-beta1, which is planned for about a month from
> now.
> 
> In total, I'm currently tracking these branches:
> 
> YARN-2915: YARN federation (recently merged)
> HADOOP-13345: S3Guard (currently being voted on)
> YARN-5355: TSv2 alpha2 ("few weeks")
> YARN-5079: Native services ("few weeks")
> YARN-3926: Resource profiles ("few weeks")
> 
> We should effectively be in code freeze (only blockers/criticals), so the
> volume of merge proposals at this point came as a surprise. Despite our
> best efforts as software engineers, big code movement always comes with
> risk.
> 
> Since we started the 3.0 release series close to a year ago, I'm also loath
> to increase the scope. The main motivation for 3.0 was to deliver JDK8 and
> HDFS EC, and our users deserve a production-quality release with these
> features. We've also been good about the release cadence thus far in 3.x,
> so a 3.1 isn't that far out.
> 
> Here's my proposal:
> 
> * 3.0.0-beta1 includes S3Guard and YARN federation. Target date remains
> mid-Sept.
> * 3.0.0-GA includes TSv2 alpha2. Target date remains early November.
> * Everything else waits for 3.1, approximately March 2018.
> 
> My rationale for inclusion and exclusion is as follows:
> 
> Inclusion:
> 
> * YARN federation has been run in production, does not touch existing code,
> adds no new APIs, and is off by default.
> * S3Guard has been run in production and is off by default.
> * The first iteration of TSv2 was shipped in 3.0.0-alpha1, so we're
> committed to this for 3.0.0 GA. It's off by default and adds no impact.
> 
> Exclusion:
> 
> * The primary reason for exclusion is to maintain the planned release
> schedule. Native services and resource profiles are still a few weeks from
> being ready for merge.
> * A reminder that 3.1 is only another 3 months after 3.0 given our release
> cadence thus far. If there's demand, we could even do a 3.1 immediately
> following 3.0.
> 
> I'm happy to talk with the contributors of each of these features to
> understand their timelines and requirements, with the caveat that I'll be
> out through Wednesday next week. Please reach out.
> 
> Best,
> Andrew


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: yarn-dev-unsubscribe@hadoop.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: yarn-dev-help@hadoop.apache.org


Mime
View raw message