hadoop-yarn-dev mailing list archives

From Allen Wittenauer ...@effectivemachines.com>
Subject Re: Are binary artifacts are part of a release?
Date Mon, 31 Jul 2017 23:51:36 GMT

> On Jul 31, 2017, at 4:18 PM, Andrew Wang <andrew.wang@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
> Forking this off to not distract from release activities.
>
> I filed https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-323 to get clarity on the matter.
I read the entire webpage, and it could be improved one way or the other.

	IANAL, my read has always lead me to believe:

		* An artifact is anything that is uploaded to dist.a.o and repository.a.o
		* A release consists of one or more artifacts ("Releases are, by definition, anything that
is published beyond the group that owns it. In our case, that means any publication outside
the group of people on the product dev list.")
		* One of those artifacts MUST be source
		* (insert voting rules here)
		* They must be built on a machine in control of the RM
		* There are no exceptions for alpha, nightly, etc
		* (various other requirements)

		i.e., release != artifact .... it's more like release = artifact * n .

	Do you have to have binaries?  No (e.g., Apache SpamAssassin has no binaries to create).
 But if you place binaries in dist.a.o or repository.a.o, they are effectively part of your
release and must follow the same rules.  (Votes, etc.)