hadoop-yarn-dev mailing list archives

From Prafulla <praful...@yahoo.com.INVALID>
Subject YARN applications and default JVM charset
Date Wed, 07 Jun 2017 06:59:24 GMT
Hi,

My company uses YARN for scheduling one java-based application. Our YARN app master is also
written in java.
I have a question about default charset used within YARN.

If I add following code in our application master, it prints US-ASCII, when app master is
run withing YARN container.

      Charset charset = Charset.defaultCharset();
      LOG.info("Charset : " + charset.toString());

But when I run application master outside of YARN (just for testing), it prints UTF-8.

We are using default-container-executor and simple security.
Can someone help me how to control this charset? How to make sure it picks it up from the
underlying operating system?

Is passing -Dfile.encoding to JVM which runs app master only way to enforce certain charset?
We are not inclined to use this way, as operating system in some cases, may have different
charset.

Thanks in advance!
--Prafulla