hadoop-yarn-dev mailing list archives

From Allen Wittenauer ...@effectivemachines.com>
Subject Re: About 2.7.4 Release
Date Wed, 08 Mar 2017 21:54:04 GMT

> On Mar 8, 2017, at 10:55 AM, Marton Elek <melek@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>
> I think the main point here is the testing of the release script, not the creation of
the official release.

	… except the Hadoop PMC was doing exactly this from 2.3.0 up until recently. Which means
we have a few years worth of releases that are effectively untrustworthy despite being signed.
 One of the (many) reasons I rewrote the release process was to get Hadoop back in line with
ASF policy.  Given the massive turn over in committers, I don’t want us to repeat the same
mistakes (like we usually do).

> I think there should be an option to configure the release tool to use a forked github
repo and/or a private playground nexus instead of official apache repos. In this case it would
be easy to test regularly the tool, even by a non-committer (or even from Jenkins). But it
would be just a smoketest of the release script…

	This is already possible:
		* don’t use —asfrelease
		* use —sign, —native, and, if appropriate for your platform, —docker and —dockercache