hadoop-yarn-dev mailing list archives

From Allen Wittenauer ...@effectivemachines.com>
Subject Re: [Discuss] Merge YARN-3368 to trunk
Date Tue, 20 Sep 2016 21:56:52 GMT
On 2016-09-09 15:54 (-0700), Wangda Tan <wheeleast@gmail.com> wrote:
> We propose to merge YARN-3368 (YARN next generation web UI) development
> branch into trunk for better development, would like to hear your thoughts
> before sending out vote mail.

A quick pass through the diff:

* why are there editor settings and other superfluous things there?  do these settings comply
with the PMC's style guide?  why would they be here and not in the base of the source tree?

* versions of things be set in a higher order pom rather than children if possible

* RAT exclusions for files where the license header can be added and files that don't actually
exist

* documentation references deprecated variables

* documentation top and bottom are basically the same information

* why isn't configuration in HADOOP_CONF_DIR?  That seems like a major blocking issue, especially
from a downstream packaging front.  users are never going to find that because we've trained
them to look in H_C_D.

* I'm still not sure why this is being wrapped in a maven profile:
    * create-release is activating the profile, so why not enable it for everyone?
    * precommit won't test it with that profile in place; it'd be useful to see a *real* run
of yetus against this branch without the maven profile protecting it

* this doesn't appear to actually build in target/, which is very counter to maven. is there
a valid reason for that?

* for an optional component, why is it first in the main pom.xml's module list?  shouldn't
it be last to verify that the other stuff gets built first and therefore truly optional?

* isn't this bundling the test code together with the actual application code?  why? also,
is there any concern about the test code being used as a backdoor?

* filenames with spaces and mixed case are going to cause all sorts of unexpected problems