hadoop-yarn-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <andrew.purt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.7.3 RC1
Date Thu, 18 Aug 2016 15:47:55 GMT
An incompatible APIs change is developer unfriendly. An incompatible behavioral change is operator
unfriendly. Historically, one dimension of incompatibility has had a lot more mindshare than
the other. It's great that this might be changing for the better.

Where I work when we move from one Hadoop 2.x minor to another we always spend time updating
our deployment plans, alerting, log scraping, and related things due to changes. Some are
debatable as if qualifying for the 'incompatible' designation. I think the audit logging change
that triggered this discussion is a good example of one that does. If you want to audit HDFS
actions those log emissions are your API. (Inotify doesn't offer access control events.) One
has to code regular expressions for parsing them and reverse engineer under what circumstances
an audit line is emitted so you can make assumptions about what transpired. Change either
and you might break someone's automation for meeting industry or legal compliance obligations.
Not a trivial matter. If you don't operate Hadoop in production you might not realize the
implications of such a change. Glad to see Hadoop has community diversity to recognize it
in some cases.

> On Aug 18, 2016, at 6:57 AM, Junping Du <jdu@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>
> I think Allen's previous comments are very misleading.
> In my understanding, only incompatible API (RPC, CLIs, WebService, etc.) shouldn't land
on branch-2, but other incompatible behaviors (logs, audit-log, daemon's restart, etc.) should
get flexible for landing. Otherwise, how could 52 issues ( https://s.apache.org/xJk5) marked
with incompatible-changes could get landed on branch-2 after 2.2.0 release? Most of them are
already released.

mapreduce-dev@hadoop.apache.org
> Subject: Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.7.3 RC1
>
> I always look at CHANGES.txt entries for incompatible-changes and this JIRA obviously
wasn’t there.

> Anyways, this shouldn’t be in any of branch-2.* as committers there clearly mentioned
that this is an incompatible change.

<http://home.apache.org/~vinodkv/hadoop-2.7.3-RC0/>

at https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehadoop-1045/ <https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehadoop-1045/>

>>> The release-notes are inside the tar-balls at location hadoop-common-project/hadoop-common/src/main/docs/releasenotes.html.
I hosted this at home.apache.org/~vinodkv/hadoop-2.7.3-RC1/releasenotes.html <http://people.apache.org/~vinodkv/hadoop-2.7.2-RC1/releasenotes.html>
for your quick perusal.

>>> As you may have noted,
>>> - few issues with RC0 forced a RC1 [1]
>>> - a very long fix-cycle for the License & Notice issues (HADOOP-12893) caused
2.7.3 (along with every other Hadoop release) to slip by quite a bit. This release's related
discussion thread is linked below: [2].

<http://markmail.org/thread/6yv2fyrs4jlepmmr>