hadoop-yarn-dev mailing list archives

From Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] what exactly are the stability guarantees of the YARN APIs
Date Tue, 31 May 2016 04:44:03 GMT
Inline.

On Sat, May 28, 2016 at 11:34 AM, Sangjin Lee <sjlee0@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think there is more to it. The InterfaceStability javadoc states:
>     Incompatible changes must not be made to classes marked as stable.
>
> And in practice, I don't think the class annotation can be considered a
> simple sum of method annotations. There is a notion of class compatibility
> distinct from method stability. One key example is interfaces and abstract
> classes as in this case. The moment a new abstract method is added, the
> class becomes incompatible as it would break all downstream subclasses or
> implementing classes. That's the case even if *all methods are declared
> stable*. Thus, adding any abstract method (no matter what their
> scope/stability is) should be considered in violation of the stable
> contract of the class.

Fair point. I was referring to them in the context of adding @Evolving
methods to @Stable classes. Our policy states that "Classes not annotated
are implicitly “Private”. Class members not annotated inherit the
annotations of the enclosing class." So, the annotation on a method
overrides that of the enclosing class. This seems pretty reasonable to me.

Do you think there is reason to revisit this? If yes, we should update this
for Hadoop 3.

> Regarding interfaces and abstract classes, one future enhancement to the
> InterfaceStability annotation we could consider is formally separating the
> contract for users of the API and the implementers of the API. They follow
> different rules. It could be feasible to have an interface as Public/Stable
> for users (anyone can use the API in a stable manner) but Private for
> implementers. The idea is that it is still a public interface but no
> third-party code should not subclass or implement it. I suspect a fair
> amount of hadoop's public interface might fall into that category. That
> itself is probably an incompatible change, so we might have to wait until
> after 3.0, however.

Interesting thought. Agree that we do not anticipate users sub-classing
most of our Public-Stable classes.

There are also classes which we do not anticipate end-users to directly
use, but devs might want to sub-class. This applies to pluggable entities;
e.g. SchedulingPolicy in fairscheduler. We are currently using
Public-Evolving to capture this intent.

Should we add a third annotation in addition to Audience and Stability to
capture whether a class can be extended? Given the few classes we
anticipate being extended, this is likely lesser work. :)