hadoop-yarn-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <bus...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Merge feature branch HADOOP-12930
Date Wed, 11 May 2016 08:14:03 GMT
+1 (non-binding)

reviewed everything, filed an additional subtask for a very trivial
typo in the docs. should be fine to make a full issue after close and
then fix.

tried merging locally, tried running through new shell tests (both
with and without bats installed), tried making an example custom
command (valid and malformed). everything looks great.

On Mon, May 9, 2016 at 1:26 PM, Allen Wittenauer <aw@apache.org> wrote:

>         Hey gang!
>
>         I’d like to call a vote to run for 7 days (ending May 16 at 13:30 PT) to merge
the HADOOP-12930 feature branch into trunk. This branch was developed exclusively by me as
per the discussion two months ago as a way to make what would be a rather large patch hopefully
easier to review.  The vast majority of the branch is code movement in the same file, additional
license headers, maven assembly hooks for distribution, and variable renames. Not a whole
lot of new code, but a big diff file none-the-less.

>         This branch modifies the ‘hadoop’, ‘hdfs’, ‘mapred’, and ‘yarn’
commands to allow for subcommands to be added or modified at runtime.  This allows for individual
users or entire sites to tweak the execution environment to suit their local needs.  For example,
it has been a practice for some locations to change the distcp jar out for a custom one.
Using this functionality, it is possible that the ‘hadoop distcp’ command could run the
local version without overwriting the bundled jar and for existing documentation (read: results
from Internet searches) to work as written without modification. This has the potential to
be a huge win, especially for:

>                 * advanced end users looking to supplement the Apache Hadoop experience
>                 * operations teams that may be able to leverage existing documentation
without having to remain local “exception” docs
>                 * development groups wanting an easy way to trial experimental features
>
>         Additionally, this branch includes the following, related changes:
>
>                 * Adds the first unit tests for the ‘hadoop’ command
>                 * Adds the infrastructure for hdfs script testing and the first unit
test for the ‘hdfs’ command
>                 * Modifies the hadoop-tools components to be dynamic rather than hard
coded
>                 * Renames the shell profiles for hdfs, mapred, and yarn to be consistent
with other bundled profiles, including the ones introduced in this branch

>         Documentation, including a ‘hello world’-style example, is in the UnixShellGuide
markdown file.  (Of course!)

>          I am at ApacheCon this week if anyone wants to discuss in-depth.
>
>         Thanks!
>
> P.S.,
>
>         There are still two open sub-tasks.  These are blocked by other issues so that
we may add unit testing to the shell code in those respective areas.  I’ll covert to full
issues after HADOOP-12930 is closed.

busbey