hadoop-yarn-dev mailing list archives

From Allen Wittenauer ...@apache.org>
Subject Guidance needed on HADOOP-13096 and HADOOP-13097
Date Thu, 05 May 2016 01:51:35 GMT

	When the sub-projects re-merged, maven work was done, whatever, the shell scripts for MR
and YARN were placed (effectively) outside of the normal maven hierarchy.  In order to add
unit tests to the shell scripts for these sub-projects, it means effectively turning hadoop-yarn-project/hadoop-yarn
and hadoop-mapreduce-project into “real” modules so that mvn test works as expected.
 Doing so will likely have some surprising consequences, such as anyone who modifies java
code and the shell code in a patch will trigger _all_ of the unit tests in yarn.

	I think we have four options:

a) Continue forward turning these into real modules with src directories, etc and we live
with the consequences

b) Move the related bits into an existing module, making them similar to HDFS, common, tools

c) Move the related bits into a new module, using the layout that maven really really wants

d) Skip the unit tests; we don’t have them now

	This is clearly more work than what I really wanted to cover in this branch, but given that
there was a specific request to add unit test code for this functionality, I’m sort of stuck
here.

	Thoughts?