hadoop-yarn-dev mailing list archives

From Allen Wittenauer ...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Looking to a Hadoop 3 release
Date Sat, 23 Apr 2016 00:59:48 GMT

> On Apr 22, 2016, at 5:38 PM, Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vinodkv@apache.org> wrote:
>
> On an unrelated note, offline I was pitching to a bunch of contributors another idea
to deal with rotting trunk post 3.x: *Make 3.x releases off of trunk directly*.

> What this gains us is that
> - Trunk is always nearly stable or nearly ready for releases
> - We no longer have some code lying around in some branch (today’s trunk) that is not
releasable because it gets mixed with other undesirable and incompatible changes.
> - This needs to be coupled with more discipline on individual features - medium to to
large features are always worked upon in branches and get merged into trunk (and a nearing
release!) when they are ready
> - All incompatible changes go into some sort of a trunk-incompat branch and stay there
till we accumulate enough of those to warrant another major release.

> Thoughts?

	Unless I’m missing something, all this proposal does is (using today’s branch names)
effectively rename trunk to trunk-incompat and branch-2 to trunk.  I’m unclear how moving
"rotting trunk” to “rotting trunk-incompat” is really progress.