hadoop-yarn-dev mailing list archives

From Akira AJISAKA <ajisa...@oss.nttdata.co.jp>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Release Plan for Apache Hadoop 2.6.4
Date Fri, 08 Jan 2016 07:55:18 GMT
+1 for releasing 2.6.4 after release 2.7.2.
I'll work on the list [2].

Thanks,
Akira

On 1/7/16 08:59, Junping Du wrote:
> Hello folks,
>         Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday and good rest in passed weeks. We just
had a 2.6.3 release on Dec.17 and now it is a good time to look forward to the next branch-2.6
maintenance release - 2.6.4 in the beginning of new year. As usual, this release will be based
on latest release 2.6.3 but include a couple of critical/blocker bug fixes that identified
in community recently.

> Things Done/TODO:
>
>    + Schedule
>      -- According to previous email discussion thread in community, we are prefering
fast-moving way (roughly as monthly) of releasing fixes on branch-2.6. So I would expect this
release could happen around end of Jan. or early of Feb. dependens on if RC & VOTE process
going on smoothly. Also, it should be after release 2.7.2 to get rid of any possible disturb
to that release.

>    + Branch
>      -- 2.6.4 will be based on branch-2.6, which has been open to 2.6.4 commits for a
while. I plan to branch out branch-2.6.4 sometime next week according to status of target/fixed
fixes.
>      -- Before 2.6.4 branch is cut off, new commits coming as fix to 2.6.4 is good to
commit/merge to trunk, branch-2 and branch-2.6.

>    + Patches
>      -- In last couple of days, I went through all critial/blocker bug fixes in the coming
2.7.2 release and ping authors/committers on JIRA to ask for the same effort on branch-2.6.4.
I could do more rounds of the same practice in case I could miss something helpful. Also,
a kindly reminder from original author and committer is also appreciated.
>      -- So far, 2.6.4 already has 18 fixes as list of [1] shows. However, there are totally
55 fixes target for 2.6.4 for now [2], so there is still a large gap and we need to work harder
to resolve these tickets as many as we can and push out some non-critical ones to meet our
promise of date.

>    + Release
>      -- Still too early to do anything directly related to RC. Will work on resolve fixes
in list of [2] first, and appreciate any help on this effort.

> Any thoughts? Especially on schedule and list of patches that should be included?
>

> Cheers,
>
> Junping
>
> [1] Tickets fixed in 2.6.4:
> http://s.apache.org/vJB
>
> [2] Tickets targets for 2.6.4:
> http://s.apache.org/JpE

one +0 (non-binding) and no -1s, the vote passes.

> Thanks for everyone who tried the release candidate and voted. Thanks Vinod, Sangjin
and Steve to provide me advices on release process.

> I'll push the release bits and send out an announcement for 2.6.3 soon.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Junping

release to follow up 2.6.2.) according to email thread of release plan 2.6.3 [1]. Sorry for
this RC coming a bit late as several blocker issues were getting committed until yesterday.
Below is the details: