hadoop-yarn-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Looking to a 2.8.0 release
Date Thu, 26 Nov 2015 21:42:39 GMT

> On 25 Nov 2015, at 22:01, Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vinodkv@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Tx for your comments, Andrew!
>
> I did talk about it in a few discussions in the past related to this but yes, we never
codified the feature-level alpha/beta tags. Part of the reason why I never pushed for such
a codification is that (a) it is a subjective decision that the feature contributors usually
have the best say on and (2) voting on the alpha-ness / beta-ness may not be a productive
exercise in non-trivial number of cases (as I have seen with the release-level tags, some
users think an alpha release is of production quality enough for _their_ use-cases).

> That said, I agree about noting down our general recommendations on what an alpha feature
means, what a beta feature means etc. Let me file a JIRA for this.

maybe discuss having a list @ release time. As an example, s3 and encryption at rest shipped
in beta stage... what's in 2.8 that "we don't yet trust ourselves?".  Me, I'd put erasure
coding in there just because I've no familiarity with it

> The second point you made is absolutely true. Atleast on YARN / MR side, I usually end
up traversing (some if not all of) alpha features and making sure the corresponding APIs are
explicitly marked private or public unstable / evolving. I do think that there is a lot of
value in us  getting more systematic with this - how about we do this for the feature list
of 2.8 and evolve the process?

> In general, may be we could have a list of ‘check-list’ JIRAs that we always address
before every release. Few things already come to my mind:

> - Mark which features are alpha / beta and make sure the corresponding APIs, public interfaces
reflect the state

+ have people add JIRAs for the next version to actually mark things as stable/out of beta