hadoop-yarn-dev mailing list archives

From Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vino...@apache.org>
Subject Release votes and git-tags [Was Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.7.2 RC0]
Date Thu, 12 Nov 2015 20:23:50 GMT
We have always voted on release tar-balls, not svn branches / git commit-ids or tags.

When we were on SVN, we used to paste in the voting thread the release branch URL.

Since we moved to git, we stopped creating release branches and have always used signed tags
for snapshotting and posted tags in the voting threads.

To my knowledge, we never reuse tags - as they are themselves versioned - for e.g. hadoop-2.7.1-RC0
etc. So we don’t run the risk of tags getting replaced from under the rug.

To me, tags are a simple way of going back to the code we ship in a release without creating
and maintaining explicit release branches. No one can remember Commit IDs.

All that said, we can post the commit-IDs in future release votes for the sake of convenience,
but I disagree with the statement that we vote on git-commits.

+Vinod