hadoop-yarn-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Junping Du <...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: continuing releases on Apache Hadoop 2.6.x
Date Wed, 25 Nov 2015 18:23:41 GMT
Given there is a critical security fix (HADOOP-12577) coming, I think we should move faster
on releasing 2.6.3. 
I would propose to freeze nominating new fixes to 2.6.3 unless they are critical enough as
blocker. We can nominate more fixes later in 2.6.4. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Junping
________________________________________
From: sjlee0@gmail.com <sjlee0@gmail.com> on behalf of Sangjin Lee <sjlee@apache.org>
Sent: Friday, November 20, 2015 7:07 PM
To: mapreduce-dev@hadoop.apache.org
Cc: Hadoop Common; yarn-dev@hadoop.apache.org; hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: continuing releases on Apache Hadoop 2.6.x

It would be great if we can get enough number of fixes by early December.
18 seems bit on the low side, but if we lose this window it won't be until
next year.

As for the release management, thanks Chris, Junping, and Haohui for
volunteering! I'll reach out to you to discuss what we do with 2.6.3. I
assume we will have more maintenance releases in the 2.6.x line, so there
will be more opportunities. We do need one person with PMC privileges to be
able to go through all the release management steps without assistance,
which I learned last time.

Regards,
Sangjin

On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 10:03 AM, Sean Busbey <busbey@cloudera.com> wrote:

> Early december would be great, presuming the RC process doesn't take too
> long. By then it'll already have over a month since the 2.6.2 release and
> I'm sure the folks contributing the 18 patches we already have in would
> like to see their work out there.
>
> On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 7:51 AM, Junping Du <jdu@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>
> > +1. Early Dec sounds too early for 2.6.3 release given we only have 18
> > patches since recently release 2.6.2.
> > We should nominate more fixes and wait a while for the feedback on 2.6.2.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Junping
> > ________________________________________
> > From: Vinod Vavilapalli <vinodkv@hortonworks.com>
> > Sent: Thursday, November 19, 2015 11:34 PM
> > To: yarn-dev@hadoop.apache.org
> > Cc: common-dev@hadoop.apache.org; hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org;
> > mapreduce-dev@hadoop.apache.org
> > Subject: Re: continuing releases on Apache Hadoop 2.6.x
> >
> > I see 18 JIRAs across the sub-projects as of now in 2.6.3. Seems like we
> > will have a reasonable number of fixes if we start an RC early december.
> >
> > In the mean while, we should also review 2.7.3 and 2.8.0 blocker /
> > critical list and see if it makes sense to backport any of those into
> 2.6.3.
> >
> > +Vinod
> >
> >
> > On Nov 17, 2015, at 5:10 PM, Sangjin Lee <sjlee@apache.org<mailto:
> > sjlee@apache.org>> wrote:
> >
> > I'd like to pick up this email discussion again. It is time that we
> started
> > thinking about the next release in the 2.6.x line. IMO we want to walk
> the
> > balance between maintaining a reasonable release cadence and getting a
> good
> > amount of high-quality fixes. The timeframe is a little tricky as the
> > holidays are approaching. If we have enough fixes accumulated in
> > branch-2.6, some time early December might be a good target for cutting
> the
> > first release candidate. Once we miss that window, I think we are looking
> > at next January. I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.
> >
> >
>
>
> --
> Sean
>

Mime
View raw message