hadoop-yarn-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Douglas <cdoug...@apache.org>
Subject Re: "Reservation" ambiguity
Date Wed, 05 Aug 2015 01:48:45 GMT
How visible are (1) reservations? They're an internal, implementation
detail exposed in metrics only to explain the edge cases they create.
Are users typically aware of them?

SLA reservations (2) are user-visible, and express the contract with
users/operators symmetrically. While (1) is a concept, renaming (2)
would require user-breaking code changes.

Unless you're discussing the intersection- the effect of reservations
(1) on a reservation (2)- it's usually clear from context... I'd
rather avoid breaking anyone listening to the metrics in Hadoop-3.

Maybe reservations (2) could have been named "sessions", but that
collided with applications that already used it for a similar concept.
-C