hadoop-yarn-dev mailing list archives

From Hitesh Shah <hit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: YARN replica selection
Date Fri, 19 Jun 2015 16:02:42 GMT
Moving conversation to yarn-dev. BCC’ed hdfs-dev.

YARN actually does not do anything except give back containers based on what an application
requested for. It is up to each and every application to first figure out where the data is
located and then make optimal choices based on which node to prefer for scheduling. I believe
MapReduce has some changes to use potentially memory-based block locations over disk-based
ones but I don’t believe there is any significant work in any YARN application that makes
cost-based decisions based on the various storage types of where blocks are available.

thanks
— Hitesh