hadoop-yarn-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Nauroth <cnaur...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Developing features in branches
Date Thu, 30 Apr 2015 22:46:25 GMT
In HDFS, our recent feature branches tried to keep large portions of their
new code in new classes (i.e.
org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.CacheManager) or even new Java
packages (i.e. org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.snapshot).  We tried
to make minimal changes in existing code: just enough to hook into the new
code.  If hooking into the new code isn't easy for some reason, then
sometimes you can submit a non-impactful refactoring patch to trunk to
help make it easier.  By submitting straightforward refactorings to trunk
first, you can reduce some of the difficulty of reviewing a large
consolidated patch at merge time.  Reviewers can focus on the new logic.

This tends to minimize the impact of merge conflicts coming from either
trunk or a sibling feature branch.  This is only possible if it's a
logically distinct new feature and this kind of code organization makes
sense for that feature, but it's something to keep in mind.

--Chris Nauroth