hadoop-yarn-dev mailing list archives

From Karthik Kambatla <ka...@cloudera.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] Developing features in branches
Date Tue, 28 Apr 2015 16:26:48 GMT
Hi Yarn devs,

I wanted to hear your thoughts on moving to a model where we develop ALL
features in branches. I see the following pros/cons of this approach:

Pros:

   1. A feature gets included in a release only after it is in a usable
   state - security etc. included. e.g. SharedCache has been included in 2.7
   partially. We are yet to have MR use it or enable security.
   2. Since it is not in a branch a release might be cut from, feature
   development could move faster without having to make sure the branch is in
   releasable-state between commits. e.g. Working on YARN-149 was hard mostly
   because we wanted the state between commits to be pristine.
   3. Provide contributors the opportunity to review and commit code as
   branch-committers.

Con: The cost of merging the branch back to trunk and branch-2. It might be
painful to resolve conflicts during every rebase. However, if
trunk/branch-2 have primarily bug fixes, there won't be as many conflicts.

>From what I hear, the HDFS team has followed this model somewhat
successfully. In YARN land, recent work on reservations was done in a
branch and I think it went well.

This is one of those cases where switching completely to a
features-in-branches model is lot more convenient than trying it out for
one-off features.

Thanks
Karthik

--