hadoop-yarn-dev mailing list archives

From Allen Wittenauer ...@altiscale.com>
Subject PSA: Various JIRA commit-time issues
Date Fri, 20 Mar 2015 14:18:11 GMT

	It would be great if everyone could make sure that when resolving a JIRA Issue that they:

A) Make sure that their final message is actually in the comment box and not in the release
notes box.  For 2.7, there are currently 5 out of the 24 release notes that are +1 type messages…

B) PLEASE make a release note for incompatible changes.  Even for the ones that you’re trying
to slip into branch-2 that you don’t think anyone noticed. (Trust me, we do.)  You may not
read them, the release manager may not even read them (given how often A happens), but users
really do…. and nothing says “I hate our end users” like not giving some basic info
over breaking changes.

C) FixVersion = commit of the earliest release and/or project branches.  Going into 2.8 and
trunk? Then set it to 2.8.  Old issue that is now magically working and no longer an issue?
Please don’t set a FixVersion. It is very confusing. (Did it not work before? Do I have
to upgrade to get that fix?)

Sidenote for all contributors: don’t set the fix version.  Committers will take care of
that.  If you want to give a hint as to what release you are shooting for, set the Target
Version, which can be accessed when first filing the issue or via the Edit button.

	A lot of this is already covered on HowToCommit, BTW.  (Although I’ll likely also update
some of it today since it still says our official documentation format is Forrest, which hasn’t
been true for about 6 years now.  Probably time to migrate the main site’s documentation
off of forrest though...)

Thanks.

(This message brought to you by the Foundation For Better Communication in partnership with
the Committee for Cleaner JIRA Issues.)