hadoop-yarn-dev mailing list archives

From Masatake Iwasaki <iwasak...@oss.nttdata.co.jp>
Subject Re: Some information required related to Hadoop documentation developement
Date Thu, 06 Nov 2014 18:39:53 GMT
Hi Naga,

 >   1.  what and how are these *.vm files(format) used in Hadoop [Hdfs and Yarn] documentation
?
 >   2.  Does vm files stand for velocity macro?

Velocity macro is used for variable substitution as far as I know.
For example::

   ---
   YARN Timeline Server
   ---
   ---
   ${maven.build.timestamp}

Though many of dosc uses APT format ( http://maven.apache.org/doxia/references/apt-format.html
),
you can also use markdown.
See hadoop-mapreduce-project/hadoop-mapreduce-client/hadoop-mapreduce-client-core/src/site/markdown
for example.

 >  5.  Are these documentation pages built if " -Pdocs " parameters are provided during
"mvn install" ? If so which Pom is responsible for building the html files ? Basically how
to modify and test the generated html files?

Run "mvn site" to build site docs.
Running "mvn site site:stage -DstagingDirectory=/var/www/html/hadoop-site"
puts built docs to specifiled path.

 >  6.  From earlier patches  (ex : yarn 1696) i figured out that to add new page(in yarn
documentation) we can add a *.vm file in "hadoop-yarn-project\hadoop-yarn\hadoop-yarn-site\src\site\apt"
and make entry in "hadoop-project\src\site\site.xml"  for the new page? Is that sufficient
or anything else needs to be taken care?

I think it is sufficient.

Masatake Iwasaki