hadoop-yarn-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Douglas <cdoug...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Calling a merge vote for YARN-1051
Date Tue, 30 Sep 2014 18:40:59 GMT
+1

Excellent work, Carlo and Subru. -C

On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 11:50 AM, Carlo Curino <ccurino@microsoft.com> wrote:
> (Apologies if it is delivered twice.)
>
> YARN Devs,
>
> We propose to merge YARN-1051 development branch into trunk.
>
> Key Idea:
> This work adds support for Reservations to YARN RM. The key idea is to allow users to
request dedicated access to resources (a reservation), ahead of time.
> For example I can ask for "10 containers for 1 hour sometime between 4pm and 9pm today".
 The RM keeps track of the accepted reservation by means of
> a Plan (think it as an agenda on how the  cluster resources will be used), and performs
admission control to guarantee that if a reservation is accepted enough
> resources are set aside to satisfy it.  We enforce the reservation promises by dynamically
creating/resizing/removing queues at the right time. This allows us
> to leverage the existing schedulers for the actual container assignment and tracking.
The key benefit is to expose to the scheduler flexibility of allocation, while
> guaranteeing users predictable resource allocation.
>
> Status
>
> *         The work has been "broken down" into 14 subtasks (+3 patches already committed
to trunk for move/kill of apps). All the issues have been resolved.

introduce, which is tracked here: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAPREDUCE-6094)

> *         Simple integration with MapReduce: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAPREDUCE-6103
>
> *         The broken-down patches have been reviewed and +1ed by Vinod Kumar Vavilapali,
Jian He, Wangda Tan, Karthik Kambatla, and Chris Douglas. Thanks to all of you for the thorough
reviews!

> *         The current version has been rather thoroughly tested by running it on our
250 machines research cluster for months (first prototype was operational about a year ago)
by:

> o   Running hundreds of thousands of job generate by a modified version of gridmix that
exercise the reservations mechanism side-by-side normal queues.

> o   To support our integration with the resource estimation framework Perforator (http://research.microsoft.com/pubs/178971/perforator.pdf).
Kaushik and Dharmesh have been pounding the reservation system for their research for 3-4
months now, and helped us spot few bugs and iron them out.

> o   Code has been inspected/extended by 4-5 other researchers which are exploring integration
with other systems and extensions of our algorithms for "reservation placement".

umbrella JIRA https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/YARN-2572

of the paper here):   https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12671498/socc14-paper15.pdf

tracked by https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/YARN-2609

> Credits
> Myself and Subru did lots of the coding (hence the flow of patches from us), but this
is a group effort that could have not been possible without the ideas and hard work of many
other
> folks in our research group (Microsoft-CISL). Major kudos to:  Chris Douglas, Sriram
Rao, Raghu Ramakrishnan, and our intern Djellel Difallah. Also big thanks to the many folks
in community  (Arun, Vinod, Alejandro, Bikas, Karthik, Sandy, Hitesh, Jakob, Mohammad, Mayank,
Jason, Bobby, and many more) that helped us shape our ideas and code with very insightful
feedback and comments.

> We expect the vote to run for the usual 7 days and will expire at 12pm PDT on Oct 3.
Please feel free to reach out to us if you have any questions/doubts.