hadoop-yarn-dev mailing list archives

From "Liu, Yi A" <yi.a....@intel.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Migrate from svn to git for source control?
Date Sun, 03 Aug 2014 06:38:26 GMT
+1, Git is more convenient for development and we can switch easily between branches and can
have local branches.

Regards,
Yi Liu

-----Original Message-----
From: Karthik Kambatla [mailto:kasha@cloudera.com]
Sent: Saturday, August 02, 2014 7:44 AM
To: common-dev@hadoop.apache.org; hdfs-dev@hadoop.apache.org; mapreduce-dev@hadoop.apache.org;
yarn-dev@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: [DISCUSS] Migrate from svn to git for source control?

Hi folks,

From what I hear, a lot of devs use the git mirror for development/reviews and use subversion
primarily for checking code in. I was wondering if it would make more sense just to move to
git. In addition to subjective liking of git, I see the following advantages in our workflow:

   1. Feature branches - it becomes easier to work on them and keep
   rebasing against the latest trunk.
   2. Cherry-picks between branches automatically ensures the exact same
   commit message and tracks the lineage as well.
   3. When cutting new branches and/or updating maven versions etc., it
   allows doing all the work locally before pushing it to the main branch.
   4. Opens us up to potentially using other code-review tools. (Gerrit?)
   5. It is just more convenient.

I am sure this was brought up before in different capacities. I believe the support for git
in ASF is healthy now and several downstream projects have moved. Again, from what I hear,
ASF INFRA folks make the migration process fairly easy.

What do you all think?

Thanks
Karthik