hadoop-yarn-dev mailing list archives

From Arun C Murthy <...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Thinking ahead to 2.4
Date Tue, 18 Feb 2014 05:48:48 GMT

On Feb 17, 2014, at 9:44 PM, Arun C Murthy <acm@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> Committers, please exercise caution to ensure we only commit necessary bug-fixes henceforth.

Forgot to add…
Committers: I've created version "2.5.0" in jira with the expectation that most things will
now commit to that version.

thanks,
Arun

> On Feb 15, 2014, at 2:59 PM, Arun C Murthy <acm@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>
>> Folks,
>>
>>  With hadoop-2.3 nearly done, I think it's time to think ahead to hadoop-2.4. I think
it was a good idea to expedite release of 2.3 while we finished up pieces that didn't make
it in such as HDFS Caching & Support for Heterogenous Storage.

>>  Now, most of the key pieces incl. Resource Manager Automatic Failover (YARN-149),
Application History Server (YARN-321) & Application Timeline Server (YARN-1530) are either
complete or very close to done, and I think we will benefit with an extended test-cycle for
2.4 - similar to what happened with 2.2. To provide some context: 2.2 went through nearly
6 weeks of extended testing and it really helped us push out a very stable release.

>>  I think it will be good to create a 2.4 branch ASAP and start testing. As such,
I plan to cut the branch early next week. With this, we should be good shape sometime to release
2.4 in mid-March.

>>  I've updated https://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Roadmap to reflect this.
>>
>>  Also, we should start thinking ahead to 2.5 and what folks would like to see in
it. If we continue our 6-week cycles, we could shoot to get that out in April.

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

--